Coat of Armor
How I ensured optimal health for my best friends wedding! With winter right around the corner I thought you too might be interested in my invaluable recipe for wellness!
The Thursday, Friday and Saturday prior to my departure south to Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida for this destination wedding, I was scheduled to train the new assistant manager at The Mark.
Sidebar: Food service management is a fairly typical career path for a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and I absolutely love the time spent at my mother's restaurant. I have previously wrote about The Mark when making expressions on the topic of Mindful Eating!
Unfortunately, the new assistant manager was under the weather, as was another staff member. Panic set in as I had been looking forward to my best friends wedding from engagement and the thought of being sick too was devastating to my being.
At that moment in time I initiated the highest level of protection for my immune system.
(1) I continued with my four Prenatal gummies daily. I choose prenatal for the extra nutrition to support the health of my hair and nails. I am religious about taking my multivitamin daily as I feel it serves as an insurance policy for my health. mykind ORGANICS by Garden of Life is certified USDA ORGANIC thus making it also NON GMO Project VERIFIED. This is a real food dietary supplement, which is very important to ensure optimal digestion, absorption and utilization for the body. These whole food gummies are also delicious by my standards and are surely something I look forward to consuming each morning when I wake! Even though my educational background is in Food & Nutrition and I am currently a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, I don't feel I have perfect intake at each meal or snack. One daily serving of four gummies serves as a health insurance policy for my being!
(2) I continued to drink a hot cup of Celestial Seasonings' Green Tea infused with White Tea and honey each morning!
(3) Daily at breakfast and dinner I enjoyed sautéed fresh greens, ginger and mushrooms in a truffle infused olive oil from The Oilerie!
(5) Lunch daily was spent at the Easton Town Center Bubbles where I purchased their Green Machine smoothie with banana, guava, mango, spinach and of course extra tapioca "bubbles!" I could not depart daily without a shot of their Ginger Bomb being cold pressed lemon and ginger juice!
(6) My Cosmic Connection, Maggie, used to make me fresh elderberry syrup yearly from her bushes during the winter months to support my immune system. Being that I was foolish to not accept her recipe, prior to her passing, i've been looking for a convenient alternative.
My mother enjoys this Organic Elderberry Gummy supplement from Garden of Life when under the weather and I help myself to her stash as needed! This time around I decided it was essential I purchased my own stock! I enjoyed one serving size being four gummies daily with my lunch.
(7) I continued to drink a hot cup of my favorite decaffeinated herbal Bengal Spice tea by Celestial Seasonings infused with honey each evening! Ingredients include: cinnamon, roasted chicory, roasted carob, vanilla flavors, ginger, cardamom, black pepper, cloves, nutmeg with other natural spice and flavors.
(8) Mushrooms are so medicinal that it would be recommended to consume at least one serving daily. Changing the mushroom variety as often as possible increases intake of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals (inflammation and disease fighter potential).
Before bedtime I consumed one Mushroom Immune Defense tablet by Source Naturals. The serving size suggests one to two tablets, twice daily, between meals. I felt one tablet was all I needed taking into account the complete coat of armor I initiated!
(9) I drank four ounces of Lemon Ginger Echinacea Juice each evening to wash down my mushroom tablet.
Echinacea is not something to consume daily, indefinitely, but rather on occasion in times of need!
(10) The evening prior to my departure I took it up a notch! Making mushroom tea for the very first time! I purchased dried shiitake mushrooms from Fresh Thyme Farmers Market in Dublin, Ohio, with rehydrating recipe included on packaging! I skipped Misty Mountain's recommended straining step as I did not want to remove any degree of nutrition!
This was a proactive purchase on my end! I did not initially present with a cough but the thought of one developing during a romanic wedding moment was traumatizing! My intention was to keep a stash in my fanny pack (yes I rock a fanny pack) at all times in case of an emergency! HoneyLemon with Echinacea by Ricola is my number one go to when in need of a cough drop!
(12) There is always a time and place for modern medicine! With seasonal changes, sometimes a good old fashion allergy pill is needed! My favorite belongs to Kroger. It's a 24 hour, non-drowsy tablet for a runny nose, itchy, watery eyes, sneezing and an itching of the nose and/or throat. It addresses both indoor and outdoor allergies. If I have it my way I will not purchase or consume any other allergy medicine! When I find something that works for my being I stick with it!
(13) Pseudoephedrine Tablets for nasal and sinus congestion and pressure was another proactive purchase on my end. For the most part I could breath fine and never required consumption of this product but I wanted to have it on hand in the event of an emergency by my standards! In the state of Ohio this product can be purchased from a Pharmacist requiring drivers license documentation. I prefer this packaging. One is recommended to consume a dose every four to six hours. This non-drowsy nasal decongestant provides A LOTTTTTTT of energy and it is nice to decide when an increase in energy would be appropriate. Besides hot peppers, hot sauce and wasabi paste I have never experienced a better nasal decongestant!
*If at any point in time you decide to initiate a portion or all of my coat of armor, be sure to tune into your being regularly (several times each day) and continue to consume only what resonates well with your being! Contacting your medical provider(s) for their consent is never a bad idea if you have a complex medical condition or conditions.
Yes! Another Sidebar: I am sure you've been wondering...I felt wonderful for my best friends wedding! Surely my favorite wedding i've attended to date!
*Do you have exciting plans in the near future that requires you to ensure optimal wellness!?
*Does the change in season negatively impact your being requiring a special coat of armor!?
*Do you always get sick every winter and desire a different reality moving forward!?
When appropriate for your being, I hope my favorite products can support your immune system, as they do mine!
Peace & Everlasting Love!