Yogic Essentials for Home Practice
Updated: Nov 3, 2020
Prior to social distancing, isolation, and community shutdowns a home yoga practice was so very important but now it's imperative, by my standards.
Here I want to share my favorite yoga equipment for your consideration as you work towards creating your perfect yogic feng shui in the comfort of your personal space!
Purchasing exactly what I recommended is not necessarily needed. Use my recommendations as inspiration for selecting products that best meet your needs!
1) An Extra Thick (1/2 inch) Exercise Mat - I prefer black in color as it does not show dirt and wear and tear as lighter colors would. I like my exercise mat to be extra long coming in at 72 inches! This product provides extreme comfort and support when practicing yoga and meditation. Comfort and joint protection is key in helping to maintain a regular and consistent yogic practice. Node Fitness creates an easy to clean product that's lightweight with a non-slip surface!
2) If money is tight I recommend the Black, Midnight, or Deep Purple Extra Thick (1/4 inch) Deluxe Yoga Mat by YOGA Accessories. Honestly, 1/4 inch is not thick at all by my standards, so the title is a little misleading. (I recommend placing your Extra Thick Exercise Mat under this product for the perfect pairing!) These yoga mats are completely latex, phthalates, and heavy metal-free! This is a USA based company working out of Richmond, Virginia!
3) If you have more money to spare consider a Metta Mat! Made in the USA, Philly! Latex and PVC free! Providing you with an eco-friendly mat from recyclable, renewable, 100% natural tree rubber, which is LEED certified! I like their grippy texture that's completely waterproof as sweat can be easily washed or rinsed right off these mats! Beautiful artwork is displayed and 25% of every sale goes directly towards each independent artist! Namaste! (I recommend placing your Extra Thick Exercise Mat under this product for the perfect pairing!)
*Support items can help you experience a deeper stretch in your yoga practice:
4) Three inch foam Yoga Blocks by YOGA Accessories! I would recommend two yoga blocks for your practice and bigger is not necessarily better here. I would discourage you from purchasing their four inch option. The darker the color, the better your blocks will look for the long haul!
5) If you're pregnant or prone to falls, I would recommend extra stability for your practice. Please consider their four inch Cork Yoga Blocks. 100% all natural and eco-friendly! Two blocks will be my recommendation.
6) If money is tight, a stack of books will do the trick for free!
7) One - Ten inch Cotton Yoga Strap without Buckle is needed! 100% Textured Cotton. The darker the color the better for longterm use. Don't be tempted by their six inch and eight inch options, the longer the better here! Don't consider straps with buckles this is simply unneeded and excessive.
8) If money is tight, a belt from the closet will do the trick for free!
9) One - Small Rectangular Cotton Yoga Bolster. 100% cotton cover. The darker the color the better. This is a wonderful support item to be used during Classic Relaxation Pose (Savasana) and to support longer holds and deeper stretches during a Yin Yoga sequence.
10) If money is tight, choose pillows from around your space to support your practice! This will do the trick for free!
11) I don't recommend Meditation Cushions as they are difficult to clean. Sit on one of your pillows or a folded blanket if you desire extra support! It's better for your finances anyways!
12) I don't recommend a Wool Mexican Yoga Blanket as they are itchy for the skin but I will say they are super warm. I use mine for camping in cold temperatures rather than in my yoga practice! Use one of your blankets if you desire extra comfort and warmth during Classic Relaxation Pose (Savasana)! This route is also better for your finances!
13) A peaceful yoga timer on your phone if you need to set limits on your practice! I use the Clock, Alarm feature on my iPhone and the sound is set to "Ripples!"
14) Essential Oil for Aromatherapy! My personal favorite is Sweet Orange by Garden of Life! 100% Organic & Pure! I place this oil on the palms of my hands but this product can also be diffused into your space if you prefer!
There you have it! Yogic Essential for a lovely Home Practice!
May your essential yoga gear add elements of support, comfort, and excitement to help ensure you practice at least a little each and every day!
Peace, Love, & Everlasting Protection!